[Monetdb-developers] MAPI protocol suggestion

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Sat Nov 22 03:39:39 CET 2008

Hi,

With light on my recent philosophical question on doubles/uints for the
lossy storage on coordinates. I wonder the following;

Would it be possible to implement a binary MAPI protocol that can use
the native types of the data that is stored within MonetDB?

So for example; I create a table:

CREATE TABLE helloword (hello varchar(13), world integer);
INSERT INTO helloword (hello, world) VALUES ('hoi', 1);

And fetch this table:

SELECT hello, world FROM helloworld;

And receive the MAPI data in the following (too simplistic) way:
   (len) (string)
--> 5 hello 5 world
--> 3 hoi 4 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x1

For several reasons the above will not work; the length field is too
short (only up to 255) it is also not optimal. I wonder if it can
trigger any idea to allow the end user to use native types instead of
char[]'s.