[Monetdb-developers] closing the stable branch

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Fri Nov 14 14:36:28 CET 2008

Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> I am closing the stable branch for further checkins.  We need to
> converge to a release.
>
> Today I will only still accept fixes that make that things compile on
> all platforms.  I do not want anything that could possibly break
> tonight's compilation or testing.
>
> Note, this is only for the Nov2008 stable branch.

Since I have received quite a few favorable reports about the release
candidate and no negative reports, I am opening the stable branch again
for bug fixes only.

Since we haven't released yet, be *very* conservative with what you
check in.  It we still need to create a new release candidate, it must
be possible to do so without any additional problems.  If you have a fix
of which you are not *absolutely* sure that it works on all platforms,
wait with checking it in until we have actually released (probably next
week).

Thank you all for your cooperation.

Note that we are going to be firm as to what constitutes a bug fix.  A
bug fix may not under any circumstances change the "public" API.  The
public API of a package is defined as functions/procedures/commands that
are defined in one package and can be used from another package or by a
user of the system.  This is especially true if the
function/procedure/command is *actually* called from some other package.

If in doubt, ask me or Stefan.

Remember, there is always a next feature release.

--
Sjoerd Mullender