[Monetdb-developers] Mtest: remove M5 warning about modules

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Tue Nov 11 13:49:12 CET 2008

Dear all,

as as further background info:

The original idea of the modules check was to make the information shown in
the testing "cross-check-matrices" more detailed, i.e., instead of running a
test tha then fails due to a missing module and simply shown a "red X"
requiring to click on that to find out what was the reason for the failure,
Mtest.py would skip that test issuing the below warning AND generating a
specific output file that contains the information that the test was skipped
due to a missing module. The scripts around Mtest.py that create the TestWeb
(i.e., the TestTools) do than exploit this extra info and indicate directly
in the "cross-check-matrix" that the test was skipped due to a missing
module, rather than just showing that the test failed "arbitrarily". Cf.,
http://monetdb.cwi.nl/testing/projects/monetdb/Stable/MonetDB4/.mTests103/index_short.html

Obviously, this getting this extra info does require to maintain the modules
required for each (or at least selected) tests.

Alternatively, Mtest.py and or the TestTools could parse and analyse the
output of all (failed) tests to find known errors and eventually add the
same detailed info to the "cross-check-matrices" as described above. When
starting with Mtest.py more than 10 years ago, I found the above solution
simple and more efficient/effective.

Having said that, I'm open to any changes that do not limit, restrict or
even remove any functionality that we have now.
Removing a not yet working/implemented functionality (though it might be
"desirable") obviously fulfills these requirements.

Stefan