[Monetdb-developers] Monetdb-developers Digest, Vol 22, Issue 4

Keulen, M. van (Maurice) m.vankeulen at utwente.nl
Fri Mar 28 11:28:53 CET 2008

Ying Zhang wrote:
> Hi Maurice,
>
> Stupid me.  I only described how the current XRPC implementation is,
> but forgot to mention the ongoing work.
>
> On Mar 28, 2008, at 09:35 , Keulen, M. van (Maurice) wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Does it also mean that if I send a stream of messages to one server
>> that all carry the same request-ID without waiting for a result of a
>> message before sending out the next, that all are handled in the
>> correct order and each is handled after completion of the previous
>> one? In that case, it meets all my requirements. In fact, it gives
>> much more than I ask for :-) I definitely like to follow any
>> developments for this one!
>
> This can be easily supported by adding a sequence number to each
> request message, I think.
>
> But, if you have an updating request, and then a read-only request, do
> you then want to make the updates made by the first request visible to
> the second request?

Comparing it to the behaviour of a relational DBMS doing 'begin
transaction ; update ; select ; commit' then, yes, I expect the effect
of the update to be visible for the select, but not visible to select's
done in other concurrently running transactions (the I of isolation in
ACID).

Maurice.

Dr.Ir. M. van Keulen - Assistant Professor, Data Management Technology
Univ. of Twente, Dept of EEMCS, POBox 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands
Email: m.vankeulen at utwente.nl, Phone: +31 534893688, Fax: +31 534892927
Room: ZI 3039, WWW: http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~keulen