[Monetdb-developers] [PF] Question about timings

Keulen, M. van (Maurice) m.vankeulen at utwente.nl
Tue Mar 25 10:59:11 CET 2008

Thanx Stefan!

Version is MonetDB/XQyert Stable 0.22 (using default backend).

So the remaining time would be "client/server communication"??? That is
an awful lot. The query is a reporting query, i.e., the query has many
aggregates calculating all kinds of statistics and then creates XHTML
structures for the resulting tables. The resulting XHTML-data is not so
large that it would eat up 18.9 seconds. Aren't there any other aspects
that may be involved here?

Maurice.

Stefan Manegold wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:12:44AM +0100, Keulen, M. van (Maurice) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A student of mine is trying to speed up some queries and is puzzled
>> about the timing-readings he gets, for example:
>>

>  Trans   19681.811 msec:	Query translation ("compilation") (server)
>  Shred       0.000 msec:	Document shredding & loading (server)
>  Query   16384.143 msec:	Query execution (server)
>  Print      81.180 msec:	Result serialization (server)
>  Timer   55087.438 msec:	Wallclock (client; all above + client-server communication)
>
>> The total of the first four 19.7+0+16.4+0.08 is approximately 36.2
>> seconds. "Timer" gives 55.1 seconds. Where are the remaining 18.9
>> seconds going?
>>

> (unless there is a bug somewhere:) "client-server communication" (cf.,
> http://www.cwi.nl/htbin/ins1/publications?request=abstract&key=Ma:TR-CWI:07)
>
> Which version of MonetDB/XQuery are we talking about?
>

>> By the way, what do these measures precisely indicate? "Query", for
>> example, can be interpreted as query compilation or query execution.
>>

> See above.
>
> Stefan
>

>> Maurice.

Dr.Ir. M. van Keulen - Assistant Professor, Data Management Technology
Univ. of Twente, Dept of EEMCS, POBox 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands
Email: m.vankeulen at utwente.nl, Phone: +31 534893688, Fax: +31 534892927
Room: ZI 3039, WWW: http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~keulen