[Monetdb-developers] [XQ] Mixing update/docmgmt/query

Keulen, M. van (Maurice) m.vankeulen at utwente.nl
Wed Mar 19 12:30:20 CET 2008

Ying Zhang wrote:

>> Jennie: my SOAP-messages do not come from MonetDB/XQuery, but from
>> outside (i.e., some scripting language).
>
> Then, an order can only be guaranteed if you, in your scripts, send a
> message, wait for result, and send the next message.  In all other
> cases, unfortunately, no guarantee, as an xrpc server immediately
> start handling a request when it's received.
>
> Jennie

I thought so already. This is why I don't like to have to send multiple
requests to do one thing (transaction). I'd rather be able to send one
request to both do, say, an update and return a result, or add a
document and return a result. The system so far doesn't allow me to do
this, because I cannot define one query (or function in a module) that
does both because of typing restrictions, and I also cannot send two
separate queries in one request because of restrictions in the XRPC
protocol.

Any thoughts about achieving what I want?

Maurice.

Dr.Ir. M. van Keulen - Assistant Professor, Data Management Technology
Univ. of Twente, Dept of EEMCS, POBox 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands
Email: m.vankeulen at utwente.nl, Phone: +31 534893688, Fax: +31 534892927
Room: ZI 3039, WWW: http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~keulen