[Monetdb-developers] Bug in Python interface converters.py Feb2008-SuperBall

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Sat Mar 15 22:07:12 CET 2008

Hi Andrei, thank you for your interest and for your report.  Could you
do us a favor and submit this as a bug report on our bug tracker at
sourceforge?  This will help us track the problem.  The bugtracker can
be found at <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=56967&atid=482468>.

By the way, just for my understanding, would it be ok if the
Connection.literal method would convert the result of the call to escape
to a tuple?

If you're making a bug report, this question should be answered there.

On 2008-03-14 17:28, Andrei Tovtchigretchko wrote:
> MonetSQLdb.converters.escape(x, conv=None)
> should return 'tuple' for any input sequence type (currently it returns tuple only if it receives tuple, and returns list if it receives list).
> The return result is used as a second argument in expression 'query = query % self.connection.literal(args)' in cursors.py. The '%' operator raises an exception on anything but tuple.
> Also, when 'escape()' cannot convert some argument, it should immediately raise a descriptive exception. Currently it silently drops the argument from the result sequence, which causes an exception to be raised later in the calling code. That exception reads like this:
> """ProgrammingError: not enough arguments for format string"""
> This unnecessarily  complicates debugging.
> Thank you,
> Andrey

Sjoerd Mullender