[Monetdb-developers] Monet-in-a-File

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 20 00:40:52 CEST 2008

Hi,

By a thought that I have expressed to Niels as alternative for
[the-idea-that-i'm-not-going-mention-here]. I was wondering how much
work it would take to make MonetDB to work directly on fixed size files.

I'm not going into details but anyone with a bit computer experience
would know what fixed size files are in an operation system perspective.

Would it be feasible to memory map directly to a disk instead, or would
this potentially harm the performance with respect to transactions?
With the storage method that I have in mind the backend would make
absolutely sure the file is stored bit correct.

Stefan

ps. After writing this mail I have realized this could be applied on the
two different projectes we discussed.