[Monetdb-developers] next val, to be higher than the highest value

Niels Nes Niels.Nes at cwi.nl
Thu Aug 21 08:14:25 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 03:13:47AM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have run in some unexpected troubles related to the serial datatype.
> Is it possible to force the next value to be higher than the highest
> value already present in the sequence?
You can restart your serial/auto_increment or sequence number if you
have a sequence number object name.

To see the sequence numbers

SELECT q.name, s.name, q."start", q."minvalue", q."maxvalue",
q."increment", q.cacheinc, q."cycle"  FROM SEQUENCES q, SCHEMAS s where
s.id = q.schema_id;

example restart

ALTER SEQUENCE "mytest" RESTART WITH 10;

Niels