[Monetdb-developers] [Monetdb-pf-checkins] pathfinder/src/tools/java build.properties, XQuery_0-20, 1.1.2.2, 1.1.2.3 build.xml, XQuery_0-20, 1.1.2.3, 1.1.2.4

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Wed Oct 31 10:18:42 CET 2007

On 31-10-2007 10:13:08 +0100, Stefan Manegold wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 09:42:05AM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > On 30-10-2007 22:33:56 +0000, Ying Zhang wrote:
> > >     Added a new variable in build.properties (build_compiler) to make
> > >     compiler switching easier.
> >
> > http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/javac.html
> >
> > <quote>
> > It is possible to use different compilers. This can be specified by
> > either setting the global build.compiler property, which will affect all
> > <javac> tasks throughout the build, or by setting the compiler
> > attribute, specific to the current <javac> task. Valid values for either
> > the build.compiler property or the compiler attribute are:
> > </quote>
> >
> > In other words, don't do what you just did.  Just rely on standard
> > behaviour, and set build.compiler in your build.properties to gcj if you
> > want to build with gcj.
>
> Also be aware that on systems without Sun Java, there's also a "javac" that
> calls gcj's compiler; hence, "javac" does not mean Sun Java.
> Moreover, I thought the goal of the whole exercise was to get the
> xrpcwrapper compiled with both, Sun Java and gcj, right?
> Hence, what is/was the reason to (try to) force the use of "javac"?

You misunderstood the point of ant.

javac just calls "a" compiler.  If the system is b0rkened and calling
gcj "javac" then that's a problem of that system.  ant just has built in
support for a number of compilers (and their special flags needed).  You
can just tell ant which compiler it should use by setting the
build.compiler property accordingly.  In other words, ant will (try and)
find the right compiler for you.