[Monetdb-developers] next release: mps or algebra?

Djoerd Hiemstra hiemstra at cs.utwente.nl
Wed Oct 17 00:30:23 CEST 2007

Dear all,

Very good: no more milprinting! In absence of Jan, please let me add the
plans for PF/Tijah. To make things slightly more complicated: The PF/Tijah
team would like to use the algebra release for porting our proprietary
search extensions to XQuery Full-text, see:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-full-text/ Some initial design decisions that
we like to follow have been made by Stefan Klinger at the University of
Konstanz. The consequences of such a port would be:

 1. XQuery syntax will be extended for text search queries (now only via
    user-defined functions)
 2. All algebra operations must be score aware (i.e., if a score column
    exists, scores have to be propagated and aggregated)

We are aware that this affects everyone, although, only the extended
queries will produce a score column, and algebra operations remain exactly
the same if score columns are not there. The time goal of this release is
XMAS 2008. In the mean time, we might not port the current PF/Tijah
extensions to the algebra.

Best,  Djoerd.