[Monetdb-developers] next release: mps or algebra?

Martin Kersten Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl
Tue Oct 16 23:18:21 CEST 2007

LS,

Good to see this discussion. Although the topic is primarily
MonetDB/XQuery it is good
to keep an eye on the global picture. Releases include more stuff and
requires a lot of
time to prepare. (the release itself easily consumes several months of
full time work,
many delivered by free (weekend) time!!!!)
Good planning and long-term internal use are a prerequisite.
Something we still have to learn.
Once the release cycle starts, the train can not stop and full power
is/should
be in the hands of a single person. The release manager currently is Sjoerd,
one of the project admins!

As soon as a RC is available, those with a non-standard platform
(windows, sun,
mac, vista) should immediately double check to assure it basically works.
This holds for all addressed and developers.

In this respect, the time frame mentioned below is overly optimistic.
Anyone close to
the core group should work on the HEAD to help uncover problems from day 1.
Code changes should *not* be collected by individual programmers until
release time .
This is a major source of frustration, because you simply may not expect
your team members to spent day and night to fight the 'last' bugs. Let
alone to
quick-test your latest feature or performance improvement.
PLEASE, check-in daily your changes and make sure you have at least ran
mtest on your platform. And most of all, know that your changes are
scrutinized for potential quality problems by others. It is the best way
to avoid many bugs.

Furthermore, changes in the interfaces visible to users and the effect
on their databases
should be kept to a minimum. Backward compatibility is a must as long as
it is manageable.
Beware that a change in storage structure may help a few extreme users,
but may affects
hundreds or thousands in their daily use. E.g. one of our users would
have to unload/reload
a 0.5Tb business critical application.

MonetDB/Query and MonetDB/SQL are intertwined. This creates responsibility
both ways.

Peter Boncz wrote:
> Stefan suggested rightly to move this discussion to the mailing list.
> I also changed the language into english for that purpose.
>
> Maurice' original questions were:
>
> (a) whether the new release would be algebra-only (short answer: hopefully).
In my opinion this can only be answered if the algebra version, in its
full glory (without mps)
is used for several months internally, e.g. using students for stress
testing.
> (b) whether our talk of a new release also refers to submodules, such as
> probxml and pftijah (short answer: yes)

Submodules basically follow their own release cycle. Regardless the
source, e.g. datacells
geom, ....  Keeping in line is the responsibility of their owners, and
the core developers
should be aware that their changes may break the work of others. Or at
least drain a
possibly substantial amount of time.
> (c) whether all issues on the wiki, see:
> http://www.pathfinder-xquery.org/wiki/index.php/Jupiter:_The_Algebra_Release
>     needed for this action, have already been resolved (short answer: no)

The pathfinder wiki is a good example of team documentation.

I am looking forward to the upcoming release. The next one might be this
year,
but not necessarily includes everything on the drawing board.

regards, Martin