[Monetdb-developers] MAL access to tables created with SQL

Kambiz Darabi darabi at m-creations.com
Sat Oct 13 17:07:26 CEST 2007

Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl wrote:

> The discussion thread indicates a need for some advice.

A nice euphemism for me being clueless :-)

> Either, your solution works on top of SQL or it
> works directly on MAL. Don't ever attempt to be a
> man in the middle, e.g. exploiting the implementation
> scheme deployed for the SQL stack.
> It is much more complicated and extremely fragile.

OK. I never would want to modify the information which
is created/maintained by SQL directly. I just wanted
to have a look at them to learn something.

My question arose from the fact, that I couldn't
get that information. Probably due to a dumb mistake.

> Instead, use the inspiration of SQL->MAL to develop your own
> solution, including the necessary catalog management
> structures. Or just extend SQL with a few missing functions
> to do the specifics.

I think some additional functions to SQL would be enough
for storing the additional information.

Thanks you for your advice

Kambiz