[Monetdb-developers] MAL access to tables created with SQL

darabi at web.de darabi at web.de
Sat Oct 13 14:36:45 CEST 2007

Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl wrote:

> darabi at web.de wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > how is it possible to access in a MAL client session (mclient -l mal)
> > the BATs of tables which were created previously in sql?
> >
> You can't, because the mapping of SQL to BATs is maintained in the SQL
> private catalog.
> Also, each column in SQL has multiple bats.

Is it not recommended or not at all possible?

Because what I am up to could be implemented on top of sql
(at least to rapidly get off the ground in the beginning).

I would like to have something like this for an OODB schema:

- one bat for each class
- one bat for each attribute (maybe also a persistent reversed bat
sorted on the value to be able to speed up equality and range queries)
- one bat for each relation between classes
- one bat for each collection which contains attributes (and not references)

And if I interpret the contents of sql_catalog correctly,
much of it is already present there.

If it is technically impossible, then I would have to
duplicate some of that.

Kambiz