[Monetdb-developers] Object persistence using MonetDB

Martin Kersten Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl
Wed Oct 10 19:02:28 CEST 2007

darabi at web.de wrote:
> Thank you for the information.
>
> So, does that mean that you generally do not recommend the use
> of MonetDB beyond the realms of

No not at all, but you should not expect wonders.
>> datawarehouses, information retrieval, and data mining ?
>>

> From the result of the web application contest in the ct
> magazine, I had the impression that 'normal' applications
> could also benefit from the architecture of MonetDB:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.
Indeed, with some careful application programming you can get a lot of
traction.
> php?forum_id=584739
>
> What I would like to do is to create a persistence engine
> for a Prolog like language which has a type system. Which
> means that data is to be stored in tuples.

Prolog resolution engine is tuple based. Depending on the interaction
method,
you may well benefit from its binary table approach, but this should be done
on top of the Prolog execution model. Backtracking over individual elements
stored in MonetDB is not a good idea. Think about how to exploit the bulk
processing power in you algorithms.

> To experiment with MAL, I would have to use the MapiClient,
> right? I think I will try to play with it.

Good. Please keep us posted on progress.