[Monetdb-developers] Start studying MonetDB code

Niels Nes Niels.Nes at cwi.nl
Fri Nov 23 11:35:16 CET 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 11:07:29AM +0100, Marco Antonelli wrote:

>    Hello everyone,
>    I am an Italian student, and I will work at MonetDB/SPARQL for my
>    master thesis starting from next January, in Amsterdam.
Great. Welcome
>    Prof. Martin Kersten told to have a look at the code, in particular
>    the SQL->MAL translator. So I downloaded the code, and managed to
>    compile and install it correctly (on Linux). Then I opened the code
>    in Eclipse (do you use it too? do you use some better C IDE?) and
Yes vim ;-)))
>    started  to look at MonetDB5-server. Prof. Kersten told not to
>    worry... but that's impressive!
>    So where do you suggest me to start? Which c files and functions
>    first?
Well MonetDB5-server is indeed big. For MonetDB/SPARQL its needed to
study the 'bat algebra', ie src/modules/kernel/{bat5.mx,algebra.mx,...}

The SQL-MAL translater is within the sql sources. You should for example
have a look at sql/src/backends/monet5/sql_gencode. This shows
which statements are needed.

The easiest way too learn mal and sql's mapping too is too simple use
sql. And in particular use the explain and debug features.
ie start mserver5 --dbinit="include sql;"
mclient -lsql

for example use

explain select * from tables;

Niels