[Monetdb-developers] MAPI wire protocol?

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Wed Nov 7 09:50:29 CET 2007

On 06-11-2007 20:48:42 -0600, Tim Gebhardt wrote:
>    I think the client library would be better off implementing the
>    MAPI wire protocol rather than interfacing with the C library, but
>    I cannot find any documents that detail the protocol.  Is there
>    somewhere this is published, or did I just not Google the right
>    stuff?

There is no official documentation of this protocol.  However, most of
the protocol, I have documented in the Java MCL sources, used by the
JDBC driver.  In particular these are a good starting point:
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~fabian/MonetDB/Java%20Package.html/nl/cwi/monetdb/mcl/net/MapiSocket.html
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~fabian/MonetDB/Java%20Package.html/nl/cwi/monetdb/mcl/io/BufferedMCLReader.html
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~fabian/MonetDB/Java%20Package.html/nl/cwi/monetdb/mcl/io/BufferedMCLWriter.html

You can get easily confused by all other classes in the package, so
primarily focus on these, and for an example how to use it, look into
the JDBC driver's MonetConnection class.