[Monetdb-developers] nightly target contents

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Wed May 23 10:53:44 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:08:34AM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 22-05-2007 09:02:22 -0700, Colin Foss wrote:
> > Sorry if this question is borderline user.
> >
> > Using monetdb-install.sh, what does --nightly=stable
> > actually contain?  What does --nightly=current
> > contain?
>
> We maintain "two" main branches.  The HEAD of the repository, is where
> all development is made.  We refer to it as "current".  The "stable"
> branch is where the releases are made from, and contains only
> (bug)fixes, no new features.
>
> > Do the nightly tar files contain source from a
> > sucessful build or simply a CVS checkout?
>
> I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they contain the last known successful
> compilation of a CVS checkout.

The soure tarballs obviously contain the results of a successful `make dist`
(that's how they are produced), which requires a successful `./bootstrap ;
configure ; make` from the CVS source base.

Note that "successful" refers to compilation, only; successfull testing is
not require for (succesfully) building the source tarballs. For the latest
nightly testing results see our "TestWeb" at
http://monetdb.cwi.nl/projects/monetdb/Development/TestWeb/

For the "Current" development trunk (CVS HEAD), `cvs update` is (currently)
run every night at just after midnight (CEST), while for the "Stable" release
branch(es), `cvs update` is run around 5:00 am CEST.
Note that with SF, running `cvs update` does not guarantee that it indeed
succeeds...
However, for the most recent 30-31 days, the respetive CVS versions used for
nightly testing and building both source tar balls and binary distributions
(RPMs) (see http://monetdb.cwi.nl/projects/monetdb/Download/Builds/) are
tagged in CVS as "Stable_DailyBuild-<DayOfMonth>" and
"Current_DailyBuild-<DayOfMonth>", respectively.

> > Is a cross-reference between bug number and
> > --nightly=<target> maintained?

No:

- users reporting bugs often (mostly) do (can?) not accurately specify
  which *excat* version they are using when they detected and files a bug.

- developers (should) know the excat version the fix a bug on, but the bug
  fix is only confirmed once (1) a respective test has been provided AND
  (2) the next nights testing was successful AND (3) the user reporting the
  bug has confirmed the fix --- by then, we're usually some days further...

> No.  Unfortunately, we don't have a ChangeLog file either which allows
> for easy inspection of inclusion of a bug.

CVS maintains the ChangeLog for us; see `cvs log`.