[Monetdb-developers] Mtest_4_sql

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Fri May 4 23:14:03 CEST 2007

Romulo, Jennie,

after a test has finished and the Mserver has stopped, Mtest does a "sanity
check" to see, whether the used ports/sockets (MAPI and/or XRPC) are free,
again, i.e., have been released properly.
If not, the OS will "eventually" release the abandoned ports/sockets, but
that may take up to a couple of minutes, which is obviously not handy if
Mtest "immediately" wants/needs to run the next test, which then fails if
the port/socket is still blocked.
Hence, Mtest does two checks:
(1) before running a test that requires MAPIPORT (all .milC, .sql and .xq
tests) and/or XRPCPORT (*all* .xq tests, since module pathfinder starts the
XRPC server / admin console by default), Mtest check whether the respetive
port number(s) is/are available, and otherwise randomly picks a new one.
(2) after such a test has finished, Mtest checks whether the used port
number(s) is/are available, again, i.e., have been release properly
before/when quitting Mserver.
The second test is mainly for debugging --- not releasing them properly is
not a severe bug, but "merely" a nasty "leak" and "inconvenience". That's
why Mtest only emits the message you see to the console, but does not add
this to the tests' output.

After all the port changes (i.e., replacement of MAPIPORT, SQLPORT,
XQUERYPORT by a single MAPIPORT and introduction of XRPCPORT (and its
predicessors with varying names) in particular the second test did no longer
work properly (or not at all), until I fixed Mtest last week.

Being neither the MAPI nor the XRPC guy, I have no idea, why/where the ports
are not released properly.

Stefan