[Monetdb-developers] Win32 build & prefix

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Wed Mar 21 14:22:16 CET 2007

On 2007-03-21 11:10, Steffen Goeldner wrote:
> HowToStart-SQL-Win32.txt says
>
>    In case the install (i.e., prefix) directories of MonetDB and
>    MonetDB/SQL are identical, ...
>
> However, it seems that prefix is fixed in NT/Makefile
>
>    prefix = $(MAKEDIR)
>
> Would it be possible to control the prefix via an environment
> variable?

It should be possible to do a make like this:

nmake prefix=whatever ...

At one point that worked.  I recently tried it with nmake install, and
that did the right thing.  The files that are created from .in files
will have the wrong values in them if you do the prefix trick only at
install time.  The only problem that remains is:

> Also, it seems that
>
>    CLIENTS_PREFIX
>    MONETDB4_PREFIX
>    MONETDB5_PREFIX
>
> are required, but HowToStart-SQL-Win32.txt only mentions MONETDB_PREFIX.

You're right.  The documentation is behind.  Also, it might be good if
these variables could use some sort of default that is derived from a
single value so that you don't need to set them all.

> And a related question: Is it possible to use a build directory outside of
> the source tree (under Win32)?

That should be possible using the prefix trick above.

--
Sjoerd Mullender