[Monetdb-developers] Dealing with large tables

Colin Foss cgfoss at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 18:45:11 CEST 2007

Agustin,

--- Agustin Schapira <schapira at cs.umass.edu> wrote:

> Dear Monet developers,
>
> And, in general: is Monet 5
> capable of accessing
> BATs that don't entirely fit in memory? Would the
> new version fix
> this problem? Maybe it's time for us to adapt it...

I'm not a developer but am working with MonetDB5 and
have tables with a similar number of rows (250M+) and
columns as what you described.  My database is
currently over 14GB in size and works fine on my
servers with 8-9GB RAM.  I'm sure you would be able to
work with less RAM but haven't tried.  I'm planning to
quadruple the database over the next month.

I can say that MonetDB4 didn't handle things nearly as
well in terms of memory management or stability.