[Monetdb-developers] [MonetDB-users] XRPC problem: too many parameters

Ying Zhang Y.Zhang at cwi.nl
Sat Jun 2 22:14:44 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 09:00:27PM +0200, Jens Teubner wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 06:50:41PM +0200, Ying Zhang wrote:
>
> > [...]
> >
> > I forgot to say that you need to wrap "$gb-hit/Hit_gb/text()"  into the
> > fn:data() function before those values can be passed to "test:q1".  This
> > is a restriction of the current implementation of XRPC.
> >
> > The values you get by selecting the "text()" child node are of the type
> > "untypedAtomic".  XRPC currently does not cast eash untypedAtomic to the
> > expected atomic type, hence, you need to add a fn:data() to do this.  I
> > will add this cast later in XRPC's implementation.
>
> This sounds odd.  Applied to (untyped) nodes, fn:data() returns
> xs:untypedAtomic.  Only if a value is used in a function call, the items
> are cast to the respective atomic type ("function conversion rules").
>
> (Actually, I just saw that fn:data() is not allowed at all on untyped
> nodes.  Maybe this changed in the latest revisions of the specs.)
>
> Jens

Hi Jens,

You are right about that fn:data() does not do what I need, namely take
an untypedAtomic and return an atomic value in the right type.  But
according to the latest revision, I think fn:data() does allow
untypedAtomic as its parameter:

    fn:data($arg as item()*) as xs:anyAtomicType*

But I need to find another way to solve this problem.

Jennie