[Monetdb-developers] Q: pathfinder - cdata

Arjen P. de Vries arjen at acm.org
Thu Jul 12 22:47:52 CEST 2007

Thanks Sjoerd, Jens, that answers it.

Any suggestion how to achieve what I am really after?

I have an XML file with email addresses and names,
and want to output a text string with
  "Name" <email at some.domain>,
  "Name" <email at some.domain>,
  "Name" <email at some.domain>

Now I use a web browser to convert <> into <>,
but that cannot be the intention of using XQuery for your data
management, could it?!

I found that
  http://www.gnu.org/software/qexo/Extensions.html
introduces a special function - but is not standard.

Would the answer lie in a different output mode?

The serialization page
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xslt-xquery-serialization-20030502/#N40063A)
states:
  The text output method outputs the data model by outputting the
string-value of every
  text node in the data model in document order without any escaping.

Any chance that MonetDB/XQ will support such a text output mode?

Cheers,

Arjen

On 12/07/07, Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd at acm.org> wrote:
> On 07/12/2007 08:46 PM, Arjen P. de Vries wrote:
> > I have two followup questions then:
> >
> > 1.
> > should
> > <a><![CDATA[<sjoerd at acm.org>]]></a>
> > not leave the CDATA intact and not replace the < to < ?
> >
> > Disclaimer: I am not very sure what should be correct.
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xslt-xquery-serialization-20030502/
> > states
> >   Note:
> >   This is phrased to permit an implementor to provide an option that
> > attempts to preserve
> >   CDATA sections present in the source document.
>
> CDATA is CDATA, no matter the representation.  In both cases the content
> of the <a> element is CDATA, it's just encoded differently.  I doubt
> that there is a way for MonetDB/XQuery to find out which encoding was used.
>
> > 2.
> > Should
> > xquery><![CDATA[<sjoerd at acm.org>]]></a>
> > more>MAPI  = monetdb at localhost:50000
> > QUERY = <![CDATA[<sjoerd at acm.org>]]></a>
> > ERROR = !parse error: syntax error, unexpected <![CDATA[ on line 1,
> > column 9 (next token is `<![CDATA[')
> >         !parse error: XQuery parsing failed
> >
> > also have been allowed - a bit weird if it is allowed inside another element?
>
> I don't know enough about XQuery, but my guess is: no.
>
> When you look at the XQuery grammar
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#nt-bnf) you'll see that (after the
> optional prologue stuff) the query consists of a list of comma-separated
> ExprSingles, and that an ExprSingle is one of FLWORExpr, QuantifiedExpr,
> TypeswitchExpr, IfExpr, OrExpr.  The only one (in a quick scan) that
> doesn't have to start with a keyword is OrExpr in the guise of a
> PathExpr.  And the only CDataSection (<![CDATA[...]]>) is inside a
> <tag>...</tag> construct.
>
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Arjen

> >> This works:
> >>
> >> xquery><a><![CDATA[<sjoerd at acm.org>]]></a>
> >> more><>
> >>

> >> --
> >> Sjoerd Mullender
> >>

> --
> Sjoerd Mullender

CWI, room C1.16          Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science
Kruislaan 413                           Email: Arjen.de.Vries at cwi.nl
1098 SJ Amsterdam                       tel:       +31-(0)20-5924306
The Netherlands                         fax:       +31-(0)20-5924312