[Monetdb-developers] [M5] RFC: function shipping semantics

Fabian Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Thu Jul 12 16:01:45 CEST 2007

On 12-07-2007 15:40:09 +0200, Martin Kersten wrote:
> Simply put, function objects should be cast to strings before being thrown
> and reparsed at the other side.

Technically speaking that's fine with me.  I don't expect anything else.

>> For the case of put() I can think of the following which seems quite
>> intuitive and ok to me:
>>   function user.func(v:int):str;
>>   	r := "something";
>>   	return(r);
>>   end func;
>>   m := remote.put("host", "user.func(:int):str");
>>   t := 5;
>>   q := remote.exec("host", m, t);
>>   io.print(q);
> ms:= inspect.toString("user","func");
> remote.parse("host",ms);

This is unacceptable to me.  (on this level)

> t:= 5;
> q:= remote.exec("host","user","func",t);

Here I have a little problem that "user.func" is not "user.func" on host
"host".  The module may not exist, another function may exist that has
the same signature, etc. etc.

>> The example puts function func to the remote host and executes it with
>> argument t which is 5.  The return string kept in q will contain the
>> string "something".  Because the identifier of the function on the
>> remote host is returned and assigned to m, the function can easily be
> No. The identifier is determined at the sending side.
> In case of a conflict, you either dump it in a 'private' remote module
> or rename the function locally first.

No.  That's not "consistent" with how the function works on other
objects.  And I don't like the fixed/static smell of it either.
A function is either an object, or it is not.  And if it is not, then it
is something else, but what?  It's not trivial to me how to treat it.

>> executed, since exec requires the function name as string.  Currently
>> that function name is just the function without its signature.  The
>> signature (which is not required, even not desired currently) can be
>> deduced from the arguments given, resulting in a normal function
>> resolution and (slightly misleading) error reporting if that fails.
>> The other way around (thus to get a remote function) is still unclear to
>> me how to do it.  I could imagine the following that should work:
>>   v := remote.get("host", m);
>>   w := remote.get("host", "user.func(:int):str");
> ms:= remote.get("host","inspect.toString(\"user\",\"func\");");
> lang.parse(ms);

inspect.toString doesn't dump functions at the moment, by the way.

>> Problem with v is that m is not a full signature, so a conflict may
> just extend the arguments of toString
>> arise if m is overloaded.  This is not necessarily a problem, since m is
>> a unique identifier, so no overloading for it exists.  However, it is a
>> requirement that a get after a put should always succeed and result in
>> the same object that was put.
> The function returned will shield the old version in the symbol table.
> I consider it a garbage collection if we are looking for exact copies.

I consider that a not so nice solution.  In the end you may have a
function locally that is named like the function you fetch from the
remote site.  And you may definitely not want to overwrite it.  I don't
like to assume/enforce global uniqueness of the namespace.

>> The bigger problem here, however, is how to deal with the function being
>> get.  Since a function cannot be stored in a variable in MAL, it has to
>> be stored on the local machine, or its contents as a string returned.
> I don't see the problem. Either you reparse the string directly, which
> gives
> the remote side control over the module it is placed into, or you overrule
> the remote side by doing something line lang.parse("myDefaultModule",ms);

All functions that you mention here do not exist.  However the actual
implementation is not the biggest concern for me now.  I try to get the
right semantics for dealing with functions clear.  Doing a string
dump/reparse doesn't trivially allow for plan stacks to be sent over.
Question remains whether this is necessary or not.