[Monetdb-developers] PfTijah & release

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Mon Jan 22 09:43:23 CET 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 09:32:42AM +0100, Henning Rode wrote:
> of course, we would like to be included in the binary packages. so we
> thought about negative consequences this might have for the rest of you...
> main point would be compilation on other machines. for the current
> version this looks good now (thanks to stefan).

...well, it's the respective developers' (not (only) my!) resposibility to
*ensure portability of all* MonetDB related code --- testing does tell you
*what does not work; hence, just watch testing and act accordingly... ;-)

> so, we don't see problems for this release. only for future ongoing
> development it might be handy again to have this switch.

I did/do not suggest to remove the --enable-pftijah switch; I just suggested
to make --enable-pftijah[=yes] the default (at least in the release branch)
--- one can still disable it using --disable-pftijah / --enable-pftijah=no .

> the only runtime overhead is loading the pf/tijah module per default in
> milprint_summer.

obviously, this could be handled by adding a runtime switch to en-/disable
pftijah support (similar to what we have for the standoff extensions).

Stefan