[Monetdb-developers] strange Mtest + Mapi problem

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Thu Jan 18 14:05:07 CET 2007


On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 01:33:45PM +0100, Jan Flokstra wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 12:57, Stefan Manegold wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 12:04:17PM +0100, Jan Flokstra wrote:
> > > Stefan,
> > >
> > > Thanx for the help. I ran loaded() and sigs() in the failed state and
> > > noticed the module was loaded but some functions were missing from the
> > > sigs() list. When I added help through ADDHELP() they were listed in
> > > sigs() and could also be executed. Without the ADDHELP the functions
> > > cannot be executed in the failed state.
> > > BUT now things get even weirder: the function tj_setCollName() accesses a
> > > module variable collName and when it runs with the help of ADDHELP in the
> > > failed state it does not know the collName module variable.
> > > Does this ring a bell???
> >
> > nope. sorry.
> >
> > does it work in case you load module pftijah on the server before starting
> > the client listener (instead of loading module pftijah only in the client
> > session)?
> >
> 
> Hi Stefan,
> 
> I modified the Mtest.py script (only because you asked:-)
> 
> Line 2162:
> Srvr = '%s --dbinit="%s module(pathfinder);module(pftijah);"
> 
> So now the Mtest Mserver starts up with pftijah loaded. Now it works fine! But 
> I think it should also work in the other cases and we cannot always load 
> pftijah if people did not compile it,

Jan,

I agree, that we should eventually investigate and solve the original
problem. My suggestion to try to load pftijah on the server was mainly to
find out, whether the problem would also occur in that case, or only in case
pftijah is loaded in the client --- apparently, this attempt was successful,
and we now know much more about the problem ;-)

Since I don't have time to investigate and solve the original problem right
now, please 

(1) file a proper bug report about it, and preferably add an acompanying
test to CVS that triggers the bug --- basically the test that currently does
not work for you.

(2) you can use the ".dbinit" feature of Mtest.py to do basically your above
change now in Mtest.py directly, but only for a single (or all) tests that
require it --- i.e., add a second version of your test that does work by
loading pjtijah in the server via a <TST>.dbinit with the following content:
	module(pathfinder);module(pftijah);
(see MonetDB/src/testing/README for details; in particular
========
  + for frontend tests, a MIL script to be used
     instead of the frontends dbinit script.
     (optional)                                             (TST.dbinit) (^,)
========

Stefan

-- 
| Dr. Stefan Manegold | mailto:Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl |
| CWI,  P.O.Box 94079 | http://www.cwi.nl/~manegold/  |
| 1090 GB Amsterdam   | Tel.: +31 (20) 592-4212       |
| The Netherlands     | Fax : +31 (20) 592-4312       |




More information about the developers-list mailing list