[Monetdb-developers] Proposed changes to build setup

Jens Teubner jens.teubner at in.tum.de
Wed Jan 17 09:57:44 CET 2007

Hi all,

recently, Jan and I have looked at some aspects of the
Pathfinder/MonetDB build process.  And we had the impression that there
is some inconsistency in the current setup.

The makefiles of all MonetDB-related projects currently include
$MONETDB_CONFDIR/rules.mk.  This file basically contains instructions on
how to use the tools from the buildtools package to compile all the
projects from CVS sources.  To compile a project from distributed
tarballs, none of these rules should be necessary.  Thus, I think a much
better place to host the rules.mk file would be in the buildtools
package.

Thus I would suggest to do the following changes and ask for your
comments whether these changes make sense:

 -- rules.mk goes to the buildtools package.  This is where it belongs
    to.

 -- The buildtools package gets its `buildtools-config' bash script
    in order to allow remaining packages to actually find rules.mk.

 -- Instead of

      include $(MONETDB_CONFDIR)/*.mk

    the bootstrap script inserts

      if HAVE_BUILDTOOLS
        include $(BUILDTOOLS_CONFDIR)/rules.mk
      endif

    to make the inclusion of the rules dependent on the outcome of the
    ./configure run.  (Otherwise, we would depend on the buildtools in
    the distribution tarballs, which we don't want.)

 -- The tests invoked by ./configure finally need to take care of
    setting HAVE_BUILDTOOLS appropriately (using buildtools-config).

If nobody objects, I would do the necessary changes as soon as we have
forked off the new stable branch.

Jens

--
Jens Teubner
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Department of Informatics

Statistics show that most people are in
the majority, while a few are in the minority.
                         -- Nitin Borwankar