[Monetdb-developers] IMPORTANT: imminent change to repositories

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Tue Jan 2 13:46:47 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 01:35:14PM +0100, Jan Flokstra wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 January 2007 13:31, Stefan Manegold wrote:
> > Arjen,
> >
> > please use the mailing lists and/or bug tracker for such issue --- not only
> > because I'm on "holidays" (and hence other developers *might* asnwer
> > faster), but also because other users might befinet from the info.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 12:26:25PM +0100, Arjen P. de Vries wrote:
> > > I still have the problem with clients:
>
> I had exactly the same problem. I decided to throw away the entire prefix
> directory and 'make install' again. This worked.

> Jan.

[maybe a bit late, for some of you, but hopefully still in time for others.]

With such major changes in build process as the respository split, it is
highly recoomended to re-start with a clean build once you upgrade to a
newer/the latest version, i.e., throw away both your prefix/install and
build directories and de-bootstrap your sources *before* upgrading.
if you're using conf/conf.bash, source conf/conf.bash *after* the cvs update
(-dP !) in a virgin shell, and
then build from scratch starting with bootstrap ...

in case you cannot (easily) throw away your prefix/install directory (e.g.,
becaus there is more than MonetDB related stuff), you can run
`make uninstall` in the *old* build directories *before* removing them (and
*before* running de-bootstrap & cvs update).

Please be aware, that we developers try our best to make things "as simple
as possible" for you users, but we simply cannot in advance think of (let
alone check and test) all different individual user setups, hence, a *clean*
re-start is the best solution for each major upgrade.

Stefan

ps: patching *generated* files to get things working is usually not a good
    idea...