[Monetdb-developers] IMPORTANT: imminent change to repositories

Arjen P. de Vries arjen at acm.org
Tue Jan 2 11:12:15 CET 2007

Happy new year!

With new challenging monetdb problems :-)

On 01/01/07, Stefan Manegold <Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 11:36:10AM +0100, Arjen P. de Vries wrote:
> > > MonetDB does not depend on anything else.
> >
> > In directory MonetDB, I had to link conf/rules.mk to rules.mk for
> > making to start working;
>
> What was/is the exact problem ?

The problem is that rules.mk was not created, and that make includes
*.mk and therefore
refused to continue.

Sorry, but I have *really* no time to dig into it deeper - I should
not even be compiling right now, but be rewriting my proposal!
am just reporting my problems so people could investigate if they
think it makes sense. And yes, they could also just ignore it because
the test environment does not have these problems, fine with me.

> The link should (must!) not be necessary, in case you have all your sources
> up-to-date --- at least for me and nightly testing everything (i.e.,
> buildtools, MonetDB, clients, MonetDB4, MonetDB5, template, sql, pathfinder)
> works out-of-the-box, now --- amdb, xml, pruning still need (quite?) some
> work (volunteers?) --- well, me and nightly testing use conf/conf.bash to
> set the environment and use different build- & prefix- directories for each
> CVS module --- individual build-directories are highly advised (if not
> mandatory), a shared prefix-directory should work fine; conf/conf.bash
> should not be required in case you have <prefix>/bin in your path.

I use . conf/conf.bash,
and a separate build dir per project.

The problem occurred already for the first one, i.e., MonetDB.

> Stefan
>
> > later more,
> >
> > Arjen

> | Dr. Stefan Manegold | mailto:Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl |
> | CWI,  P.O.Box 94079 | http://www.cwi.nl/~manegold/  |
> | 1090 GB Amsterdam   | Tel.: +31 (20) 592-4212       |
> | The Netherlands     | Fax : +31 (20) 592-4312       |

CWI, room C1.16          Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science
Kruislaan 413                           Email: Arjen.de.Vries at cwi.nl
1098 SJ Amsterdam                       tel:       +31-(0)20-5924306
The Netherlands                         fax:       +31-(0)20-5924312