[Monetdb-developers] Experiences with the new setup

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Tue Jan 2 11:11:31 CET 2007

On 02-01-2007 11:01:03 +0100, Jan Rittinger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here are my experiences of getting pathfinder working with the new setup
>
> First I install everything without '--prefix':

(I assume you have the appropriate permissions to write into the default
prefix, which should be /usr/local in autoconf world, but on SuSE, you
never know...)

[snip]

> Afterwards I tried to start Mserver:
>
> 10:18:08 rittinge at notekemper08:/local_tmp/try_new/pathfinder> Mserver
> # Monet Database Server V4.15.0
> # Copyright (c) 1993-2006, CWI. All rights reserved.
> # Compiled for i686-suse-linux/32bit with 32bit OIDs; dynamically linked.
> # Visit http://monetdb.cwi.nl/ for further information.
> !ERROR: moduleClient: module(builtin) load error.
> !ERROR: moduleClient: module(arith) load error.
> !ERROR: moduleClient: module(str) load error.
> !ERROR: moduleClient: module(constant) load error.
> !ERROR: moduleClient: module(bat) load error.
> !ERROR: moduleClient: module(algebra) load error.
> !ERROR: moduleClient: module(sys) load error.
> !ERROR: moduleClient: module(trans) load error.
> !FATAL: scheduleClient: Daemon mode without startup script
>
> Taking the library path into account didn't help either:
>
> 10:20:05 rittinge at notekemper08:/local_tmp/try_new/pathfinder> echo
> $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /usr/local/lib

Setting an LD_LIBRARY_PATH like this should not be necessary, as your
runtime linker has this in its default path.  Besides setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is considered harmful, it also shouldn't be necessary as
rpath directions are given in the compilation process.

> Only using the mod_path option helped...

yep...

>  >10:23:21 rittinge at notekemper08:/local_tmp/try_new/pathfinder> Mserver
> --set
> monet_mod_path=/local_tmp/try_new/MonetDB4/Linux/lib/:/local_tmp/try_new/MonetDB4/Linux/lib/MonetDB4/:local_tmp/try_new/MonetDB4/Linux/lib/MonetDB4/lib/
> # Monet Database Server V4.15.0
> # Copyright (c) 1993-2006, CWI. All rights reserved.
> # Compiled for i686-suse-linux/32bit with 32bit OIDs; dynamically linked.
> # Visit http://monetdb.cwi.nl/ for further information.
> !FATAL: scheduleClient: Daemon mode without startup script
>
> ... and by changing the variable monet_daemon I got my Mserver runnin
> without error message:

It looks like it cannot find the MonetDB.conf file.  Have you tried
--config=path/to/your/MonetDB.conf ?

> 10:23:23 rittinge at notekemper08:/local_tmp/try_new/pathfinder> Mserver
> --set
> monet_mod_path=/local_tmp/try_new/MonetDB4/Linux/lib/:/local_tmp/try_new/MonetDB4/Linux/lib/MonetDB4/:/local_tmp/try_new/MonetDB4/Linux/lib/MonetDB4/lib/

Based on these paths, I get the impression you did want to use --prefix,
but didn't, hence MonetDB looking for things in the wrong place.

> For pathfinder I had a similar problem I couldn't fix (-- even adding
> all library paths I could find to the mod_path didn't help).

Try with a right prefix, or if you don't want/need it, check why the
MonetDB.conf file isn't found.

> With the old setup Mserver did know at least its own libraries. Would it
> be possible to include that knowledge in the new setup as well? Also
> using the daemon mode as default leaves me a little bit puzzled. Was
> this change a strategic decision?

bootstrap
configure --prefix=/where/you/want/it
make
make install

works fine here.  It might be that the default path is kind of b0rk3ned,
though, so it's a good idea to set the prefix anyway.