[Monetdb-developers] windows compilaton...

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Mon Feb 26 11:22:01 CET 2007

On 2007-02-26 11:12, Romulo Goncalves wrote:

>>> What is the best procedure to update the MonetDB in windows? I cannot
>>> all the time check if there are old files or not. The compilation should
>>> detect if there are changes and if yes the old files should me removed.
>>>
>>> If not the best way is to checkout all the time a new version and
>>> compile everything.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Romulo
>>
>> There should not be a need to do a complete checkout ever.  I never do.
>>  I only use "cvs update -dP".
>>
>> It is very hard to get all make dependencies right so that make always
>> does the right thing.  Therefore, it is sometimes necessary to recompile
>> everything, or at least everything in a particular subproject.  The
>> easiest way to do that is by completely removing the build directory (in
>> the default setup of the conf.bash script that would be the Linux
>> subdirectory on Linux and the CYGWIN subdirectory on Cygwin).  You can
>> also run ./de-bootstrap, but that is also rarely needed (as long as you
>> do run ./bootstrap when any *.ag file changes).
>>
> In cygwin I know that, However, I am using the nmake. I do not have a
> build directory to remove ;)
>
> Regards,
> Romulo

Use my script ~sjoerd/bin/cvsfiles and run it (in a Cygwin shell) with
the -x option.  That will list all files that are *not* in CVS.  You can
remove those.  Also remove the top-level Makefile.msc files:

rm -r `cvsfiles -x {MonetDB{,4,5},clients,sql}/NT`
rm {MonetDB{,4,5},clients,sql}/Makefile.msc

--
Sjoerd Mullender