[Monetdb-developers] windows compilaton...

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Mon Feb 26 11:09:20 CET 2007

On 2007-02-26 11:02, Romulo Goncalves wrote:
> Sjoerd Mullender wrote:

>>> Of course before the clients compilation the clients sources were
>>> updated as buildtools and MonetDB. ;)
>>>
>>> Or the cvs update -dP is not enough? Should I checkout new version
>>> and compile again?
>>
>> On Feb 19 I fixed this bug in the Stable branch.  On Feb 20 I propagated
>> the fix to the Current branch.
>>
>> Make sure (as always) that you don't have old files lying around.  In
>> this case a file called Mapi.h.  Also make sure that swig regenerates
>> clients/CYGWIN/src/python/Cimpl/MapiLib.py.c.
>>
> What is the best procedure to update the MonetDB in windows? I cannot
> all the time check if there are old files or not. The compilation should
> detect if there are changes and if yes the old files should me removed.
>
> If not the best way is to checkout all the time a new version and
> compile everything.
>
> Regards,
> Romulo

There should not be a need to do a complete checkout ever.  I never do.
 I only use "cvs update -dP".

It is very hard to get all make dependencies right so that make always
does the right thing.  Therefore, it is sometimes necessary to recompile
everything, or at least everything in a particular subproject.  The
easiest way to do that is by completely removing the build directory (in
the default setup of the conf.bash script that would be the Linux
subdirectory on Linux and the CYGWIN subdirectory on Cygwin).  You can
also run ./de-bootstrap, but that is also rarely needed (as long as you
do run ./bootstrap when any *.ag file changes).

--
Sjoerd Mullender