[Monetdb-developers] C-Store as MySQL storage engine

Daniel J Abadi dna at MIT.EDU
Sun Aug 26 00:53:59 CEST 2007

Hi Dossy,

There is no source repository/patch submission system in C-Store like
you'd see in a mature open source community project. C-Store is only
designed to be used as tool by academic researchers to look at the
properties of column-oriented database query execution. It is far from a
complete database system and parts of the code are quite rudimentary.
Further, it has been neglected recently as many of the people who used to
code for C-Store are now coding for Vertica.

However, I like the idea of using a column-oriented database as a storage
engine for MySQL. The thought actually crossed my mind as well recently
when I read about Solid using their database as a storage engine for
MySQL. My recommendation is that you look into the Monet instead of
C-Store, however (http://monetdb.cwi.nl/). They have a far more complete
open source column-oriented database.

BTW: I came across your blog entry on Vertica recently. IMO, Vertica is
much more than Sybase IQ, with far more advanced compression schemes, and
the query executer is better able to take advantage of the column-oriented
layout (data is kept in columns as long as possible and operated on as
such). I think Vertica is about 10 times as fast as IQ. Your blog entry
says you have been in contact recently with the director of sales at
Vertica who can probably give you more information.