[Monetdb-developers] Installation problem

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Thu Aug 16 15:05:59 CEST 2007

Chantola Kit wrote:
> Dear monetdb developers:
>
> I try to install MonetDB many times on Fedora7 using
> MonetDB-Mars-SuperBall, but I have the same problem which unables me to
> connect to server.
> 1. When I go to Mserver it was:
>
> [root at localhost ~]# Mserver
> # Monet Database Server V4.18.0
> # Copyright (c) 1993-2007, CWI. All rights reserved.
> # Compiled for i686-redhat-linux-gnu/32bit with 32bit OIDs; dynamically
> linked.
> # Visit http://monetdb.cwi.nl/ for further information.
> MonetDB>
>
> But, then, I open MapiClient, there is an error like below:
>
> [root at localhost ~]# MapiClient -q
> MAPI  = monetdb at localhost:50000
> ACTION= mapi_start_talking
> ERROR = !MALException:setScenario:Scenario 'mil' not initialized
>
> 2. When I go to mserver5, it was:
> MonetDB>[root at localhost ~]# mserver5
> # MonetDB Server v5.0.0
> # Copyright (c) 1993-2007 CWI, all rights reserved
> # Compiled for i686-redhat-linux-gnu/32bit with 32bit OIDs dynamically
> linked
> # dbname:demo
> # Visit http://monetdb.cwi.nl/ for further information
> #warning: please don't forget to set your vault key!
> #(see /usr/local/etc/monetdb5.conf)
>>

> Then, I open MapiClient:
> [root at localhost ~]# MapiClient -q
> MAPI  = monetdb at localhost:50000
> ACTION= mapi_start_talking
> ERROR = !MALException:setScenario:Scenario 'mil' not initialized
> [root at localhost ~]#
>
> Could you help me to solve the problems?
>
> I am looking forward to hearing from you.
> Tola

There are two problems, one of which Jennie already mentioned.

You need to start the service in Mserver, and in mserver5, you need to
tell MapiClient that you want to use another language.

So:
	Mserver --dbinit 'module(mapi); mil_start();'
with
	MapiClient

and
	mserver5
with
	MapiClient -lmal

(In the first case, you can also use "MapiClient -lmil" since MIL is the
default language.)

--
Sjoerd Mullender