[Monetdb-developers] gethostbyname() problem

Jan Flokstra flokstra at cs.utwente.nl
Tue Apr 17 14:35:06 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I have a very strange problem running MapiClient on a RedHat system at the UVA
which is not a bug I think. Problem is the gethostbyname() call within Mapi
is not working. The Mserver started without problems but when I try to run
Mapi:

bash-3.1$ MapiClient -lx
MAPI  = monetdb at localhost:50000
ACTION= mapi_reconnect
ERROR = gethostbyname failed

/proc/version says:
Linux version 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6 (brewbuilder at hs20-bc2-3.build.redhat.com) (gcc
version 4.1.1 20070105 (Red Hat 4.1.1-51)) #1 SMP Sat Mar 10 18:20:58 EST
2007

I have had a lot of other problems with this system like bootstrap complaining
the filesys refcounts are not correct or the problem that after installation
of MonetDB all file mask bits (rwx) of group-other (go) are ---,

Anybody any idea what could cause the gethostbyname() problem here???

JanF.