[Monetdb-developers] multiple XQuery statements in one xq file

Jan Flokstra flokstra at cs.utwente.nl
Fri Apr 13 13:41:41 CEST 2007

On Friday 13 April 2007 13:11, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > On 13-04-2007 12:33:09 +0200, Djoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> >> Dear Sjoerd or other developers,
> >>
> >> Could you please change the "MapiClient -lx" protocol such that the end
> >> of query does not coincide with end-of-file? We would like to provide
> >> little XQuery scripts with multiple XQuery statements, but of course I
> >> cannot put the end-of-file mark into that file without ending the file
> >> (well, you know what I mean). Any end-of-query marker will do, but ';'
> >
> > JdbcClient used to use this "statement separator", but in XQuery it is
> > not correct, as ; is used in XQuery itself.  Wouter and Jens probably
> > can easily come up with an example of ; being not correct.
> >
> >> would be prefered I guess, to stay in line with Mil and SQL.
> >>
> >> For instance (Similar to having multiple SQL insert statements):
> >>
> >> pf:add-doc("http://www.utwente.nl/a1.xml", "a1.xml");
> >> pf:add-doc("http://www.utwente.nl/a2.xml", "a2.xml");
> >> pf:add-doc("http://www.utwente.nl/a3.xml", "a3.xml");
> >>
> >> I know I can do this in one transaction, but I do not want to.
> >
> > I believe Peter implemented something like <> as separator, but I'm not
> > sure on that one.
>
> This is correct.  You can use <> at the start of a line as separator,
> but only in XQuery mode.

I tried to do this but it did not work. My input file was
=======x.xq============
1+1
<>
2+2
======================
And the result was:

flokstra at ewi581:~/scripts> MapiClient -lx x.xq
MAPI  = monetdb at localhost:50000
QUERY = 1+1
        <>
        2+2
ERROR = !parse error: syntax error, unexpected invalid_character on line 2,
column 3 (next token is `>')
        !parse error: XQuery parsing failed
        !# halted in parser.y (PFparse), line 2898
flokstra at ewi581:~/scripts>

JanF.