[Monetdb-developers] configure & *_config.h include files

Jens Teubner jens.teubner at in.tum.de
Sun Sep 24 21:01:30 CEST 2006

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 03:04:55PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> Just to throw it in once more...
>
> ... or make it easier for users and yourself and make it all one
> package, where you just do --{enable,disable}-{sql,xquery,...} at the
> configure call.  Greatly eases packaging too.

No.

Why?

 -- I want to spend my development time with programming and *not* with
    compiling MonetDB over and over, just because there have been other
    people's commits that force me to recompile once more.  The ideal
    situation would be to have a stable (with respect to its
    functionality and its interfaces) MonetDB core package against which
    the different front-ends are coded.  Way too often we are suffering
    from quite the opposite situation already: careless commits break
    core functionality, which hinders too many people in their
    development efforts.

 -- Pathfinder is a standalone and retargetable compiler.  Most of my
    coding is not related to back-end changes at all.  And when I do
    changes that do not directly involve the MonetDB back-end, there is
    no need to have my development efforts slowed down by a package as
    huge as MonetDB including all its front-ends.

Throwing all our code into a single big pot would only heal the single
symptom that we are currently observing.  Even worse, it would lead to a
bigger mess in our code, instead of enforcing discipline and stable,
well-designed interfaces.

Other open source projects, by the way, have had to spend a lot of
effort to go just the opposite way, from a bloated monolithic project
to a nice, modularized software (I'm thinking of the XFree project
here).

Regards,

Jens

--
Jens Teubner
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Department of Informatics

Computers are like air conditioners: They stop
working properly if you open windows.