[Monetdb-developers] XRPC syntax

p.a.boncz at chello.nl p.a.boncz at chello.nl
Fri Oct 27 12:39:41 CEST 2006

Hi Jens,

To answer your opening question, this email exchange has brought us to the root of the issue, which I personally find very useful, because I like to understand what is happening to me when something is happening to me.

After all, this was not really about the XRPC extension not being parsable. Rather, the small diff needed to introduce the proposed syntax does not suit your *coding* easthetics, apparently because you object to the use of REJECT in a scanner. Or something along those lines. I infer this from your qualification of my code as "lowering the quality of the Pathfinder parser".  I can only assure you that "messing up the Pathfinder parser" was not my intent while writing that code.

Given that the Pathfinder parser (and beyond) is mostly your brainchild, I can understand that you want to retain control over where it is heading. So if you block this proposal for reasons of taste, I will have to listen to you, even if I disagree or simply do not understand what the fuss is about (I myself care more if a language syntax is handy for a human user, rather than for a parser, which is operated by a machine without feelings).

So, on to an alternative syntax. I will restrict myself to the alternatives that you find acceptable for some reason. For me the XQueryD syntax is not a holy thing, as it does not really have any installed base. It is not part of Galax, just was part of some prototype that never made it into a stable version. But I do like the 'xquery' variant better than the curly braces, plus we have indeed the argument that this is the same as something that was proposed before (even if that something has become irrelevant).

So, thanks in advance for making that change..

Peter