[Monetdb-developers] XRPC syntax

Jens Teubner jens.teubner at in.tum.de
Fri Oct 27 12:39:31 CEST 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 06:00:39PM +0200, p.a.boncz at chello.nl wrote:

> Hi  Jens,
>
> Well, you had me reading the flex manual there, after which I must
> still conclude that our modification is parsable.
>
> What I meant from the start is that one can match the operator
> keywords after which a "(" can legally occur (eq, etc) with preference
> over QName_LParam.  See the below diff.
>
> There are also ways of doing that without REJECT, if your religion
> does not permit its use.
> e.g.: ("eq"|("eq"/{_}"("))  { gotoState (DEFAULT); yield (eq); }
>
> The MIL parser is a mess; but gladly its internals should play no role
> in this discussion.

Hi Peter,

I cannot see where this shall head.  Why would we, under all
circumstances, try to mess up Pathfinder's parser?  As far as I can see,
*all* the proposals made by other people do use some syntax that aids
parsing.  The XQuery syntax itself built its way for good reason, and
both approaches we had are very much in the flavor of XQuery.  I cannot
see why we would want to give that up.

I *strongly* vote for using either of the following two options:

 -- execute at { Expr } { FunctionCall }

 -- execute at Expr xquery FunctionCall

Both, in my opinion, are clean and in line with the remaining language.
>From a parser point of view, we could leave out the *second* pair of
curly braces, but that would only make things inconsistent.

Also, I cannot understand why you insist on introducing your very own
syntax for XRPC.  There have been other proposals.  In the spirit of
interoperability, experimentation, comparison, etc. I think the adaption
of existing syntax is a good idea.  It would help increasing our
system's acceptance and visibility, I argue.

(I brought the MIL parser into the discussion, because I thought that
would put you off any attempts to lower the quality of Pathfinder's
parser.)

Jens

--
Jens Teubner
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Department of Informatics

Linus Torvalds is a lot like Bill Gates. Both are
about the same height.
                               -- USA Today