[Monetdb-developers] [Monetdb-pf-checkins] pathfinder/compiler/debug abssynprint.c, 1.25, 1.26 coreprint.c, 1.26, 1.27

Torsten Grust torsten.grust at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 11:26:48 CEST 2006

Hi all,

On Oct 27, 2006, 11:12 AM, Ying Zhang wrote with possible deletions:
> [...]
> Would you please change the implementation of the syntax according to
> the discussion on the syntax?  The final version (I hope:)) of the
> syntax should be:
>
>     "execute at" Expr "xquery" FunctionCall

I have not seen the discussion (why? -- has it been conducted on
monetdb-developers), but I strongly vote to leave the syntax as is,
i.e., use

	execute at { Expr } { FunctionCall }

This is in line with other similar syntactic constructs in XQuery,
foremost the computed document, attribute, element, text, comment
constructors, the ordered/unordered specifiers, and the validate
expression.  Much like unordered { e } is a hint to the system to
evaluate expression with lax ordering requirements, execute at
{ foo } { e } is an instruction to the system to evaluate e at foo.

Much like for the element/attribute construtors, I also propose to
admit the syntactically lighter

	execute at URILiteral { Expr }

as an additional syntactic variant whenever the remote system URI
need not be dynamically computed.

Cheers,
    --Teggy