[Monetdb-developers] [SQL] Header line change, support for warnings/info

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Tue Oct 24 13:28:34 CEST 2006

I have a prepared a change for SQL's meta-data headers to use a
different symbol than the widely accepted hash (#) used for comments in
MonetDB.  Instead, the percentage sign (%) is used to indicate a
structured meta-data header.

This change allows JDBC to be strict in its parsing, while it also
supports comments/info/warnings over the protocol.  Mapi has also been
patched to support this.

An additional advantage of this change is that meta-data no longer is
considered a comment by Mtest; as such changes in this meta-data (which
usually upset or change the behaviour of JDBC) are immediately visible,
even though there is no JDBC test available.

In the changes implemented one or multiple comment lines can follow
after a regular Response, just before the prompt or next start of
header.  I changed the signatures of the functions that create the
comply with Niels' coding style) which represents a warning message.
This string may contain newlines, in which case the string is properly
send as multiple comment lines over the stream.

Before I do this massive checkin (lots of mapproves in SQL) I prefer to
get a go/no-go first.  In case of a no-go, I will check in my changes on
a branch.