[Monetdb-developers] sql_logdir -> logdir -> {sql, xquery}_logdir

Martin Kersten Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl
Sat Oct 21 10:59:00 CEST 2006

Niels Nes wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 09:59:36AM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I probably missed something, but after the recent commits some questions
>> popped up:
>> - why sql_logdir -> logdir?
> 	Well the idea was to merge both xquery and sql logs.
>> - why was this solution not a good idea wich led to a revert and
>>   addition of xquery_logdir?
> 	Problem is the logs of both frontends are managed differently,
> 	ie xquery simply wants the logs in the BBP dir and let the
> 	BPP commit cleanup the log files.
This looks like a real design error. Log files are preferable in a
failsafe environment, definitely not on the same disk as the database
itself.
Moreover, GDK should not be polluted this way with XQuery specifics.
It should be handled from a PF-module. Obeying our policy to keep
transaction level stuff as high as possible in the software stack.

> 	SQL has a manager thread which saves bats to disk and then
> 	cleans up the logs.
This is a much cleaner approach!