[Monetdb-developers] sql_logdir -> logdir -> {sql, xquery}_logdir

Niels Nes Niels.Nes at cwi.nl
Sat Oct 21 10:23:09 CEST 2006

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 09:59:36AM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I probably missed something, but after the recent commits some questions
> popped up:
> - why sql_logdir -> logdir?
	Well the idea was to merge both xquery and sql logs.
> - why was this solution not a good idea wich led to a revert and
>   addition of xquery_logdir?
	Problem is the logs of both frontends are managed differently,
	ie xquery simply wants the logs in the BBP dir and let the
	BPP commit cleanup the log files.
	SQL has a manager thread which saves bats to disk and then
	cleans up the logs.

	As both frontends do not know about each other nor about how
	they manage the active bats, its better to keep the logs
	seperate (and log managing (logger)).

Current idea is to have a single interface (logger module), which will
be used by both xquery and sql. But the actual files and bats created
by the seperate instances of the logger object, will be seperate.

Niels