[Monetdb-developers] MapiClient asynchronous interface?

Johann Borck johann.borck at densedata.com
Sat Nov 18 15:47:47 CET 2006

Hi all,

I'm using MonetDB as backend for an asynchronous server, and would like
to stick to this concurrency model. I'm aware of the TCP/IP module,
which supports async io, but as far as I understood it is made for
interaction between MonetDB servers. Could someone make an estimation
about the effort required to change MapiClient to perform asynchronous
operations vs. making use of the TCP/IP module ("faking" another monetdb
instance) from a client?  My impression from a shallow look at the code
is, that the TCP/IP module transfers bats in binary format, whereas
mapi-module/MapiClient have to format/parse strings, is that correct?
And if, does maybe someone have an idea about the overhead that the
string handling of the mapi-interface introduces?

Thanks a lot, Johann