[Monetdb-developers] Compilation problems MonetDB <-> Pathfinder

Jens Teubner jens.teubner at in.tum.de
Wed Nov 8 13:20:47 CET 2006

Hi all,

after a fresh checkout and install of buildtools and MonetDB, I'm
getting the following compilation error in the Pathfinder runtime
module:

/opt/buildtools/bin/mel -I. -I/opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB -I/opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB/common -I/opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB/gdk -I/opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB/monet -I/opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB/plain -I/opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB/contrib -I/opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB/mapi -I/opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB/C -I/usr/include/libxml2  -I../compiler/include -I./../compiler/include -proto /opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB/plain/constant.m > /opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB/plain/constant.proto.h
/bin/sh: /opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB/plain/constant.proto.h: Permission denied
make[3]: *** [/opt/MonetDB/include/MonetDB/plain/constant.proto.h] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/teubner/pf/cvs-head/runtime'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/teubner/pf/cvs-head/runtime'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/teubner/pf/cvs-head'
make: *** [all] Error 2
teubner at notekemper14:~/pf/cvs-head> man test

It turns out that constant.m in the installation directory of MonetDB is
(slightly) newer than constant.proto.h.  (Touching the latter solved the
problem here.)

Two questions arise:

 (1) Why is constant.m newer than constant.proto.h anyway, given that
     the latter apparently depends on the former?  (Note: I did *not* do
     any dirty tricks here, such as parallel builds or so.)

 (2) Why is there a dependency in the Pathfinder Makefiles that try to
     rebuild files outside the Pathfinder module?  If I'm compiling
     code, I'm not expecting to pollute anything outside the respective
     build directories.  Note that I had installed MonetDB under the
     superuser account and, hence, wasn't able to overwrite
     constant.proto.h.  Otherwise, the file silently would have been
     overwritten.

The problem certainly won't be easy to reproduce, as it depends on exact
timestamps here.  But there's something wrong in our build setup that
allows such situations to occur at all.

Jens

--
Jens Teubner
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Department of Informatics

Computers are like air conditioners: They stop
working properly if you open windows.