[Monetdb-developers] [Monetdb-pf-checkins] pathfinder EXTENSIONS, 1.5, 1.6

Torsten Grust torsten.grust at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 09:14:06 CET 2006

Jennie,

   the lighter variant has been discussed with Peter.  Please ask him.
The rationale behind

   execute at "URI" { f() }

exactly is that we can save braces in the case where the URI is
specificied in the literal.  No parsing ambiguities here.  Making this

    execute at { "URI" } { f() }

does not buy us anything, obviously.  Think of it this way: it's just
like an element constructor that uses a literal QName: no curly
braces around foo needed in

   element foo { ... }

On Nov 8, 2006, 1:31 AM, Ying Zhang wrote with possible deletions:
> [...]
> Further, I'm wondering how useful it is to add this lighter variant
> explicitly.  Isn't 'URILiteral' just an 'Expr'?

No, an URILiteral is a very *specific* expression -- sufficiently
specific to remove any ambiguity during parsing.

> Do you want to add this
> variant because the time needed for compilation can then be
> significantly reduced if the URI is a simple string, instead of a
> complex Expr?

Not at all -- just notational convenience.  If you don't like the
lighter variant, you are welcome to continue to use the equivalent

    execute at { "URI" } { f() }

which will work also in the presence of literal URIs.

Cheers,
    --Teggy