[Monetdb-developers] New vs. Existing Update Syntax

Jens Teubner jens.teubner at in.tum.de
Thu May 18 10:53:06 CEST 2006

Hi MonetDB/XQuery folks,

I'm in the midst of implementing the support for the "official" XQuery
Update Facility syntax.  So far it looks like the current code is pretty
good in line with the W3C draft.  The update operations in the draft are
very similar to the update functions we currently have.  A few
questions, however, appeared when implementing the new syntax:

 -- It seems to me like we do not (yet) have a rename() function that
    only changes the tag name of a given element, attribute, or
    processing-instruction node.

 -- It is not clear to me how our current insert-...() functions handle
    attributes in the new node list.

    The W3C draft provides separate upd:insertAttributes ($element,
    $attlist) and upd:insertBefore ($element, $nodelist) functions (and
    similar).  The translation from the surface syntax to the update
    operations then takes care of invoking the right functions.

    Unfortunately, this translation (the split-up of attributes and the
    rest in particular) is non-trivial in XQuery Core.  So we could--in
    line with the current implementation of element construction--push
    this treatment of attributes into the back-end.

    Any comments on this?  How does the current code deal with
    attributes in the arguments of insert-...()?

So far for now,

Jens

--
Jens Teubner
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Department of Informatics

                 XQuery processing at the speed of light: MonetDB/XQuery
       http://www.monetdb-xquery.org/  http://www.pathfinder-xquery.org/