[Monetdb-developers] MonetDB release meeting

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Tue Jun 6 23:31:33 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:37:16PM +0200, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> On 06/06/2006 07:17 PM, Peter Boncz wrote:
[...]
> > For the XQuery release, the following input:
[...]
> > - fixing of the indexing strategy under updates
> >   MUST 1 week stefan (sjoerd?)

I hope to be back in A'dm next week (i.e., after June 12).
Despite different planning, I won't be able to do much on this before then.

> > - adapting scj for candidate lists to be resistent against holes
> >   SHOULD 1 day stefan

Hm, IMHO scj is already hole-resistent --- at least it once was with the
"old" hole implementation (w/o paging)...
Maybe, there's an other / a new problem that I'm not aware of, yet ...

[...]
> > - performance testing under read-only scenarios (at least XMark)
> >   MUST 1 week, sjoerd,peter,stefan

I'll be available once I'm back in A'dam.

> > - formulating some benchmark update queries, testing those, fixing most
> > pressing issues
> >   MUST 3 weeks, sjoerd,peter,stefan

I'll be available once I'm back in A'dam.

> > plus documentation..

- plus functionality-, stability-, portability-testing (incl. creating new
  test cases!), and bug fixing.
  MUST, >= 3 week, ALL of us.

[...]
> > Alpha release of the MonetDB V5 05-05-2006
[...]
> > - Roadblocks:
> > --the envisioned meta-bootstrap is not available, which
> > requires users to be aware on how to compile/install SQL and M4 kernel
> > [Stefan? weeks into the future]

The "meta-build" (not only "-bootstrap") is only for "convenience", hence
not a (major) "roadblock".
(Whoever wants/need to install M5 from (cvs-) sources, should be skilled
 enough to be able to install (buildtools,) MonetDB, monet5, sql (in that
 order) by running `(bootstrap;) configure; make; make install` for each of
 them. "end-users" should/will eventually get binary packages/installers
 that support "one-click-installation"...
 The "meta-build" is still on my todo list (though mainly to releave us from
 the "support-overhead"); however, under the current "circumstance", its
 priority has decreased...)

[...]
> > Martin Kersten wrote:
[...]
> >>  From our website:
> >> Items planned for release V4.12  25-06-2006
> >> This release is geared at consolidation of the XQuery functionality.
[...]
> >>     * Kernel: cleanup (removal of uchr, new types byte and word).

no news here.
Unless there is an urgend request, I'd vote for scrapping it from this
release, postponing it to the next one --- there are more important tasks
for this release...

[...]