[Monetdb-developers] MonetDB release meeting

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Tue Jun 6 23:47:15 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:40:09PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 06-06-2006 20:11:55 +0200, Wouter Alink wrote:
> > About StandOff support:
> >
> > - I would like to know whether the multi-document-in-one-container-feature
> > is going to be in the release. Without this feature its probably going to be
> > less trouble to bugfix the axis steps (they are currently broken due to the
> > new bat-representation of XML-documents).

I strongly hope that the multi-document-in-one-container-feature will be in
the release.
But now matter, whether it will or will not, the standoff "stuff" MUST work
in either case to be part of the release.

I highly recommend to add standoff tests to the "testweb" to (1) assess the
current state of the standoff implementation/code and (2) monitor the impact
of other code changes on the (functionality/correctness of) the standoff
implementation/code --- just like Jennie has (once had ;-)) tests for
XRPC...

> > - also, with a minor checkin we have runtime-option (instead of
> > compilerflag) support for the StandOff axis steps.
>
> >From a packaging perspective, as well as general user-experience, I
> would prefer such flag.  What is the burden that the runtime-conditional
> puts upon the system in comparison to a compile-time flag?

Yesy, we should (must?) go for the runtime-option and abandon the
compiletime-switch!

> > p.s. there are currently still 50 open bugs for MonetDB... and I haven't
> > even tried the update-branch yet ;) if you would ask me, it seems that a
> > quick release is not possible.

there is no "update-branch" any more.
all update code/development has been merged into the main development trunk
in February 2006 ... !

> Positive thinking :)  Without bugs, there is nothing to fix, and nothing
> to improve ;)

Right.

I'm not scarred by the 50 open bugs, but very concerned about the fact that
there are less(!) red(!) X's in the testweb. This means that there are still
quite some test scripts missing --- maybe we should also plan an other
"BugDay" before the next release?