[Monetdb-developers] Problem editing the .mx files.

Luis Zarrabeitia kyrie at uh.cu
Mon Jul 24 22:02:22 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 12:22, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> If you do, it would be great if you could implement it in such a way
> that matches our TODO on this process.
>
> Sjoerd already gave you pointers on how to get started coding.  Enjoy!
>
> :)

I began coding already :D
It doesn't seem too hard, in fact, I already have a preliminary version where
I don't have to specify the number of records beforehand (and only a few
lines of code). I don't like it much, though, so I think its better to
consult the list before even trying to clean it up.

On my cvs checkout Niels Nes' suggestion:

==========
The 'copy into' should work but it should be part of your generated
output. The stream should generated

COPY opt_nr INTO qname FROM STDIN opt_seps
data
empty_line
==========

didn't work, perhaps I checked out a wrong branch. However, it was easy to
make it work, and that is what I coded (make the copy end if either an empty
line is found, or the opt_nr records have been inserted). The reason I don't
like it much is that I don't know if empty_line had some semantics before
that and I'm changing it.

I had been also thinking of adding a third (optional) opt_seps, with a
sensible default (empty_line?), that would let me specify what will be the
<<end of input>> marker, but it seems I cannot do that without getting deep
(changing the mvc_create_table function's signature even).

So, what would be better? Leave it with 'empty_line' (easy and almost there),
make up another marker (postgres uses \.), or try to add the third opt_seps?

What branch should I checkout?

Regards,

Zarrabeitia (eager to feed my 2 million row database to Monetdb).